Saturday, January 29, 2005

Wow, I am amazed that microbes can run computers...

... or so it seems from my recent stint coping with the machinations of various customer 'service' people in the insurance companies purporting to provide insurance to cover emergencies.

Do they jump from key to key in order to create chaos and misery? I am convinced that each one of those little microbes in the insurance and let's be honest and add in the banking industry too, are there to spread misery in the same way their microbe buddies do diseases of the body, only they spread diseases of the soul.

Nuff said on that, really. Let's talk about software and the big folk that make us pay so much for the software we need that our ears bleed at the thought of the cost of these payments. Such excessive costs for software on occasion give me a sneaking sense of sympathy for the casual copyright pirate. Not the organized clots of them who skitter and scamper and 'share' everything and anything, but that person who needs some software to do the work they want to do and yet when they search for something decent at a reasonable price (reasonable being defined as less than a month's wages for anyone outside the third world) it's impossible to find such an animal.

Are we forced into casual piracy by such greed? Are our morals stretched to the point where they feel like a pair of pantyhose after Mardi Gras? When we resist the urge to pirate a piece of software and do without, are we taking the moral high ground or are we just scrambling up the lemming hill to the top where we huddle with the other honest lemmings, unaware that someone from a supercorporation is coming with a broom to shove us over the cliff anyway.

It seems that blogging about the issue of overpriced software isn't as popular as I'd hoped, so I will offer this site instead for your enjoyment. Overlawyered.com is worth a read, simply for the incredulity factor.

My apologies for not being more vocal, I had expended all my surplus irony lately on the microbes. I will be better, I promise.

-Su

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home